Saturday 10 March 2012

Batman and Robin Cupcakes

It has been a while since I last post and I sort of feel guilty that I'm beginning to neglect it. Yes, I am ze master of procrastination, but I honestly couldn't come up with anything to write about. I thought about writing some personal inner thoughts and my one piece obsession at one point....eh I'll just leave it for next time. :)

To sum up February I have made two delicious treats. On Valentine's Day I made heart shape cream cheese cookies. It was really simple to make but somehow I was being a noob and accidentally got red food coloring on my hand and it stained the whole day haha. The sticky dough made it difficult to roll out and I used a lot of flour. So much that my whole counter was covered with flour. If my mom saw this mess, I know she will not hesitate to kick my ass. Mother shows no mercy.

I ended up making these cookies big because I was running out of time to bake them. To be honest, this is my first time celebrating Valentine's Day. I really don't see why this holiday is a big deal. Don't we all express the feeling of love everyday? It makes sense how commercialized this holiday is considering roses and chocolates are ridiculously expensive. $5 for a single rose, what the hell? I remember back when I used to work at BCBG, I felt so damn sorry for the guys who willingly dropped couple of hundreds on their girlfriend. Sure it helped me maintained my SPH, but wow... to take her shopping as a way of saying "I love you" isn't really romantic at all.

Because he knew that this is my first Valentine's Day, he put in an effort to make it special for me. He gave me a collage photo frame of us and a really pretty white lacey 3/4 sleeve dress from H&M. I tried to refuse the second gift but ended up accepting it because he said its either I take it or face my doom. :'( He took me to Horizon at Burnaby Mountain and I loved it.To end the night, I brought giant sparklers I found at home. :) I have to say this is the best Valentine's day ever teehee.

Pink Hearts!


My friends and I made strawberry shortcake and it was amaaaaazing. April and I were so glad that we made them because they tasted so damn good. April thought she doesn't own a pastry blender so we use two forks to incorporate the butter and flour together. We didn't know how to use this method until her mom showed up and did it for us haha. So noob.

I made this again at Kyle's because he needs to know how good it is and I wasn't able to give him any from the first time I made it. It was kind of difficult when I made at his house....the batch was too sticky and I keep on adding more flours even though I'm not suppose to. -.- Oh well, still taste the same LOL. I had a lot of fun making the whipping cream haha it was entertaining to see the thick liquid cream transform.

Kyle made a snowman using the scone batter, strawberries, and toothpick. Artistic indeed :)

Sooooo good and super easy to make :))))


I always wanted to make fondant cupcakes. I keep seeing all the pretty pictures of people making super cool design out of fondant. I couldn't help but was determined to make my own. I was looking at the recipe for it and watched a couple of Youtube video. Since the main recipe for fondant were marshmallows, shit is about to get serious. Uhhhh........and it's gonna be disasterous...I know it.

Quickly made chocolate cupcakes, but I forgot to leave the butter in room temperature. Nice going, Amy. There was absolutely no time to remake it because I didn't make the fondant the night before. All of my baking materials and ingredients were at my parent's place and I woke up late. I only gave myself 6 hours to make it. Time crunch to the max! After they were done baking and I set them to cool off, it was time to make the hardest part. Fondant...

The recipe said to microwave it for 1-2 minutes. I end up microwaving it for 2 minutes and the moment I opened it... I was in for a big surprise. The marshmallow exploded and oozed over the bowl and on the plate. I panicked, oh hell yeah I did. It was so sticky and messy that I attempted to save it for the sake of not wasting food. The food coloring I have was super cheap liquid food coloring from Superstore. It didn't work out because it wasn't really mixing well with the attempted sticky dough-ish batter so I had to throw it all away. :'( I was so upset when it wasn't working out.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...no, it was not fun cleaning this up.


I was so close to give up and make regular chocolate whipping cream, but I've been planning to do this for over a week. I will complete this mission even if it cost me an arm and leg. Making this fondant will happen. Using half of the marshmellow I had left, I microwave that shit for 30 seconds three times. (I learned my lesson and the marshmallow didn't erupt this time ah hah!) I used shortening and cover the bowl to pretend sticking. Genius idea!

The messiest part was when I added the four cups of icing sugar. This is the "making the fondant into a dough-like texture" happens. In order to make it happen, you have to be extremely patient and calm. I swear to god this is the part where you can give up because the batter was super sticky. I add a lot of icing sugar and used my hand to mix them together. Lets just say half of my kitchen was covered in icing sugar haha.

This time I used concentrated food coloring gel for the fondant and making the black dough took a lot of kneading. Also, do not add more icing sugar when the dough become sticky or else it will harden and dry over time. Use SHORTENING whenever you feel the dough becomes a bit stiff or a little dry. I had a lot of fun cutting up the design and adding the colors. Yes, there were different food coloring dye on my hands, but I was able to wash them off. No stain this time yay!

This took 3-4 hours to complete my fondant cupcakes.






TADA! BATMAN AND ROBIN CUPCAKES! All the hard work paid off because they look pretty damn awesome to me. I made an extra cupcake for myself just to make sure they are edible and I know I won't poison anyone.

Batman is for Kyle and Robin is for his friend, Raymond. I thought it was a cool idea since it was Raymond's birthday and I knew Kyle couldn't finish all 8 cupcakes by himself. I promise him I'll be more health conscious when making him food haha.

Woohoo! Mission accomplished! I feel like I went up a level on my baking skills. Feel so proud of myself! Next time I'll challenge myself to make an even better one.

-Amu

No comments:

Post a Comment